1. Information We Collect
We collect various types of information from our visitors which we use in the general administration of the Website, to improve the content and usability of the Website in order to meet our users’ needs and expectations, and to present to users of the Website more targeted advertising, products and services. Some of this information is provided to us voluntarily by the users of the Website, and other information is collected automatically through cookies or other Internet tracking technologies.
2. Information Collected Automatically
Each time you visit the Website, your browser or internet session automatically sends to us, and we automatically collect, the following types of information:
- Your browser, e.g., Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome
- Your Internet domain, e.g., AOL, Netcom, Earthlink, etc.,
- You computer’s operating system, e.g., Windows, Macintosh, UNIX, Linux, etc.,
- Your navigation path, i.e., the URLs of where you come to our site from, which of our pages you visit, and where you go as your leave (sometimes called “clickstream data”),
- Your computer’s IP Address, and
- A date/time stamp.
This information is automatically stored in log files, and helps us analyze trends with regard to use of the Website so we can make the Website more useful. For example, we use this information to track how users are finding the Website, track users’ movements around the Website, determine which pages are visited the most often, and gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. However, this information does not identify individual users.
3. Information You Provide to Us Voluntarily
In addition, when you register as a Contributor and set up an account on the Website, we collect certain personal information, such as your first and last name and e-mail address. However, even if you do not register as a Contributor, from time to time, we may collect information that you choose to provide to us. For instance, you may provide us with personal information when:
- Requesting additional information from us or our advertisers,
- Submitting questions, opinions, or other feedback regarding the Website, or
- Participating in community or interactive features that we may provide on the Website.
Examples of personally identifiable data that you may provide to us include name, address or other location information, email address, gender, age, marital status, occupation, and other similar personal information.
4. How We Use Information Collected Automatically
We use the information we automatically collect only in the general administration of the Website, and to help us improve the Website to better meet your information needs.
5. How We Use Information That You Provide to Us Voluntarily
Your e-mail address will be used only in the following circumstances:
- If a user of the Website has registered and been accepted as a Contributor, we may send notifications to the Contributor relating to the use of the Website or the article submission, editorial, or publication processes;
- Provided such Contributor has given us permission to do so, we may send additional notifications of other features on the Website to the Contributor; and
- If a Contributor has given us permission to do so, we may send regular notifications, periodic updates, newsletters, or other news regarding the Website, our other promotions, products, or services, or our partners and their promotions, products, or services.
If you are a Contributor or otherwise have provided your e-mail address to us when using the Website, your e-mail address will never be shared with or displayed to any other person without your prior consent. For a description of how a user’s permission or consent is given, see “Opt-in/Opt-out Procedures” below.
We will use the other personal information you have voluntarily provided to us for marketing purposes only with your prior permission. Otherwise, all personally identifiable information you provide is maintained in confidence.
Except as explained above, or where you are expressly informed otherwise, we will not sell, rent, share, trade or give away any of your personal information, unless required by law, when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on the Website, or for the protection of a Contributor’s use of the Website or participation in the publication process. However, we will share certain aggregate Website usage information or other aggregated demographic information about users of the Website in a non-personally identifiable manner with advertisers, partners, and other third parties in order to present to users of the Website more targeted advertising, products and services. In such situations we will never disclose information that would personally identify you.
6. Our Security Measures
The security of your personal information is important to us. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
7. Why We Use “Cookies”
We use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies. We use session cookies to make it easier for you to navigate our site. A session ID cookie expires when you close you browser. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for an extended period of time. You can remove persistent cookies by following directions provided in your Internet browser’s “help” or “options” file.
If you are a Contributor, we may set a persistent cookie to store your e-mail address or password, so you don’t have to enter it more than once. Persistent cookies also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on the Website. If you reject cookies, you may still use our site, but your ability to use some areas of our site, such as promotions, contests, or surveys, will be limited.
8. Links to Other Sites
The Website contains links to other sites that are not owned or controlled by us. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage you to be aware of when you leave the Website and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information.
This privacy statement applies only to information collected by the Website.
9. Access to Personally Identifiable Information
If you are a Contributor, and your personally identifiable information changes or you no longer desire to contribute to the Website or use any other feature offered to Contributors through the Website, you may correct, update, or delete such information or deactivate your Contributor account by making the change on “My Profile” page, by emailing our Customer Support, or by contacting us by telephone or postal mail at the contact information listed below.
11. Contact Us